What are “cookies”?
A cookie is a file containing an identifier (a string of letters and numbers) that is sent by a web server to a web browser and is stored by the browser. The identifier is then sent back to the server each time the browser requests a page from the server. Cookies may be either “persistent” cookies or “session” cookies: a persistent cookie will be stored by a web browser and will remain valid until its set expiry date, unless deleted by the user before the expiry date; a session cookie, on the other hand, will expire at the end of the user session, when the web browser is closed.
Why we use “cookies”?
Some pages use permanent “cookies” to store:
- your country or your preferred language, so you do not have to redo these settings each time you visit the pages;
- as suas preferências de visualização, tais como o browser de navegação, o sistema operativo, o país de origem, entre outros dados genéricos;
- if you have already answered the surveys that we can launch when visiting us (so that we will not ask you the same again);
- whether you have already agreed (or not) with the use of “cookies” on the website.
- If you have already filled in a form in our website, you may find some fields already filled for you, with the same information you have already submitted to us, so you do not have to fill them again.
- assign unique identifiers whenever authentication is required to access certain pages of the website – without this type of “cookies” it is not possible to provide you with the requested services;
- analyze traffic patterns, which will allow us to improve the content and usability of the website.
Some pages also may use third party “cookies” such as:
- Google Analytics – to allow for statistical and anonymous analysis of users’ requests, their sessions, visits, and storing the traffic source that explains how you arrived at our website, so that we can improve the site and the products and services that we make it available;
- Google Maps – used by Google to know the number of people who use this tool;
- External services to integrate other website content or connected to social networks: this website may allow other websites to collect your data, through cookies from third parties, each time you visit our website, and are connected to those social networks. This situation only applies if you have an account in one of those websites or social networks, and are connected to them, and allow them to follow your digital print. In these cases, those websites can monitor and register your interaction with our website. These cookies are not in our control, and you should manage your preferences in those websites settings.
All these cookies have a maximum lifetime of 24 months.
How to control “cookies”
You can control and / or delete cookies as you wish. To know in detail how you can do it, visit aboutcookies.org.uk or www.allaboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are present on your device, and you can configure most browsers to prevent them from accepting them. However, if you do, you may have to manually adjust some preferences whenever you visit websites, and some services and features may not work.